so lately i’ve felt a new plunge of emotions. Seems like the more time I spend here, the more intense are my highs and lows. Also, every day that goes by I pass through new phases of thought and arrive at new conclusions. for example:
- It doesn’t matter if I like this place or if I’m even having fun. The important thing is that I’m immersed in a reality that is so opposite from mine. It’s a potent and complicated truth that while many will never get to know it, others will never get to escape it.
- I am the only person who can choose what my life is about. I am powerful and in control of my surroundings and my own happiness. I have the tools and I choose to use them. One does not arrive at fulfillment being passive.
- Love is empathy. Knowing that someone you love is sad makes you sad as well. Thinking endlessly about someone and wanting the best for them is love. Not getting tired of spending every moment with them is love. Feeling satisfied doing nothing with them is love. Feeling like you are at home when they embrace you is love.
- You do not change essentially when you leave your own context. You grow and mature and learn and progress, but you are still you and that will not change either when you return home.
- So many people travel, so few people actually get to know where they are traveling through
- Many people have money. Few have social capital.
- Social vulnerability is always there. It takes a disaster to make people notice it.
- sexism, homophobia, racism, classism or any other deeply-rooted societal biases are real, destructive forces that materialize themselves daily and do not stop for anybody.
- I am not the next person who chose to come here and experienced this place through their own lens and responded with their own emotions and took home their own lessons, nor are they me.
that’s all for now